Monday, February 25, 2013

Coconut Oil Obsession/Coconut oil for hair


Coconut oil is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Honestly. I use extra virgin USDA ORGANIC coconut oil for everything!  It has so many uses and it is not too expensive! (I paid about $25 for 54 FL OZ on amazon) which is an amazing deal!!  You can also find this oil at health food stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc) he uses for this miracle oil are endless.  The main reason I first started using coconut oil was to tame my wild, curly hair. It makes my hair so soft and reduces frizz significantly!! I then started to explore other uses of this product to reap all of its wonderful benefits. I use it as a dietary supplement,  baking/cooking substitute for butter and oil, I use it as make up remover, face wash, face lotion,for oil pulling, body lotion, shaving cream! I will be sharing all of these recipes with you very soon! but let's start with the basics; using coconut oil for the hair.
For curly hair: I apply about two tablespoons of oil (melted). Coconut oil becomes a solid at room temperature, so I usually run the oil under hot water to melt it prior to use!  I usually apply the oil to my hair anywhere from 1-12 hours before showering. I apply it evenly throughout my hair and massage my scalp with it.  When I wash my hair, I wash it thoroughly with shampoo (try to use sulfate free shampoo if you can) to make sure all of the oil is out and then condition as normal. Dry and style as normal. You can also apply about a dime size of the oil when finished styling through the hair for shine (and great smell)  Your hair will be so soft! (I do this a few times a week).

For straight hair- I would follow the directions about but start with applying one tablespoon of oil instead.  Reason being that straight hair is not as dry as curly hair
Enjoy and let me know how this works out for all of you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment